Saturday, April 7, 2012

COMELY (G3) QUOTES

Saturday, April 7, 2012

 

COMELY (G3) QUOTES

 

Todd Pletcher, winning trainer of favored Broadway’s Alibi (No. 1): “I wanted to make a gradual stretch out, so we were pleased. [As for trying two turns], I don’t know yet. We’ll take her back to Palm Meadows tomorrow and see how she trains. She was kind enough today to step up to a mile. It’s encouraging, but we’ll just play it by ear and see. There are a lot of nice races like the Acorn [Grade 1, May 28, Belmont Park], the Prioress [Grade 1, August 4, Saratoga Race Course], [and] the Test [Grade 1, August 25, Saratoga Race Course], so we have to think about it a little bit.”

 

Javier Castellano, winning jockey aboard favored Broadway’s Alibi (No. 1): “I was the only pace-maker in the race. I wanted to do my own thing. I took advantage and broke out of the gate. If they put pressure on, there’s nothing I could do. I was much the best in the field. When I asked her, she took off and did it the right way today.”

 

Chad Brown, trainer of runner-up Welcome Guest (No. 5): “Terrific effort coming off a maiden win. She acted really professional in the paddock, she warmed up beautifully, and she acted good in the race. I’m anxious to get her around two turns when I can. We’ve been gradually stretching her out and it’s a nice progression to a one-turn mile. But I’d like to get her around two turns next time. First, we’ll see how she comes out of the race, and go from there.”

 

Ramon Dominguez, rider aboard runner-up Welcome Guest (No. 5): “I really committed myself because Cornelio [Velasquez, aboard # 6 Singlet] had Johnny [Velazquez, aboard #1 Broadway’s Alibi] where he wanted and it didn’t make sense for me to get in that spot. So, I just wanted to sit right there in the clear. My filly ran well for me and gave me a good effort, the winner just didn’t really come back.”