Saturday, August 23, 2014

Additional Travers (G1) Quotes

The New York Racing Association, Inc.

Saturday, August 23, 2014

 

Additional Travers (G1) Quotes

Jimmy Jerkens, trainer of winner V. E. Day (No. 4) and runner-up Wicked Strong (No. 7): "I wasn't absolutely sure it was V. E. Day because he had so much mud on him, until they got a little closer and I saw the silks and then I knew it was him. I said, 'Man, what a feeling. I know I'm going to win the Travers; I just don't know with who.'"

 

Rajiv Maragh, jockey aboard runner-up Wicked Strong (No. 7): "He beat me! That darn Jimmy Jerkens, you can't beat that guy! That race unfolded just the way I wanted it to. Bayern wasn't loose on the lead and I had them both on my side, it's just a tough beat. I just kept on riding [when I saw V. E. Day down the lane], it was just an unfortunate bob.

 

"The race was going the way I wanted it. When I saw Tonalist doing that work for me, I kind of backed off them and just tracked. Then midway in the turn, I thought I'm going to take over. It's a mile and a quarter, it's a steady kind of race, so I figured if I kind of got a jump on them, on Tonalist, then it'll be hard for them to re-rally. But then comes V. E. Day. And Jimmy Jerkens."

 

Joel Rosario, jockey aboard third-place finisher Tonalist (No. 6): "It looked like there was one horse with speed and then me and Wicked Strong. I tried to get my position early and he can run like that, so I was happy where I was. He's the kind of horse that keeps on going. We were just third-best today. I thought he was fine where he was early, but he just didn't have it today in the end."

 

Bob Baffert, trainer of beaten favorite and last-place finisher Bayern (No. 2) (by telephone): "He broke well and was in a good position. But when he turned for home, he was out of horse. The Haskell might have taken something out of him. I think you have to prep for the Travers in the Jim Dandy. But he's been so brilliant his last few outs, you had to take a shot. I was hoping they'd go in 48 and change. We were hoping to steal it, but the secret was out."

 

Forward this email



This email was sent to patrickjpatten.tpaposts@blogger.com by nyracommunications@nyrainc.com |  


The New York Racing Association, Inc. | NYRA | Press Office | P.O. Box 90 | Jamaica | NY | 11417