Sunday, May 11, 2014

Ruffian (G2) Quotes

The New York Racing Association, Inc.

Sunday, May 11, 2014

 

Ruffian (G2) Quotes

 

Bob Baffert, winning trainer of Fiftyshadesofhay (No. 6): "She had me a little worried there the way [Tom] Durkin was calling her. I saw her way behind and I saw the hot pace, so I thought we had a chance. I told John [Velazquez] to ride her however he wanted, so I guess he knew what he was doing. It worked out that way at Pimlico last year [in the Grade 2 Black-Eyed Susan], and she won. She likes to run from off the pace, but you can't really do that in California."

 

John Velazquez, winning jockey aboard Fiftyshadesofhay (No. 6). "I was on the outside the whole backstretch and she didn't seem like she was going anywhere. They were going fast enough, so I thought I'd try to save some ground and put her behind horses and hopefully I'd get somewhere. By the three-eighths pole she started moving. I finally got out about the three-sixteenths pole and she responded.  As soon as I got to the clear, she was running so good, I thought 'She's going to get there.' Not only did she get there, when she put a head in front she wanted to pull up. I said, 'Don't do that now, keep running.'"

 

Bill Mott, trainer of runner-up Grace Hall (No. 5): "I thought she ran a very good race. We just got beat. Our filly has been off a year. It was a very good effort for a horse who has been off a year. As long as she comes back good and we give her enough time between races, it should help her."

 

Joel Rosario, jockey aboard runner-up Grace Hall (No. 5): "She did everything I asked her to do. It look a lot of time to pass [My Wandy's Girl], but she ran good. With the layoff she had, I thought it was a good race."

 

Mike Hushion, trainer of third-place finisher My Wandy's Girl (No. 2): "It was a good race. That was a long run for her to make."

 

Rajiv Maragh, jockey aboard third-place finisher My Wandy's Girl (No. 2): "She ran awesome; she fought all the way to the end. She's a very good horse."

This email was sent to patrickjpatten.tpaposts@blogger.com by nyracommunications@nyrainc.com |  
The New York Racing Association, Inc. | NYRA | Press Office | P.O. Box 90 | Jamaica | NY | 11417