Sunday, May 11, 2014

Man o' War (G1) quotes

The New York Racing Association, Inc.

Sunday, May 11, 2014

 

Man o' War (G1) Quotes

 

Shug McGaughey, winning trainer of Imagining (No. 2):  "He does like it here but his race in Florida [second in the Grade 1 Gulfstream Park Turf Handicap] was a good race, too. I'm happy for the horse, this is his first Grade 1. We've got a good, solid race into him now and hopefully he'll come back fine and we'll have a good summer with him. This was only his second race since November; he was sharp in the paddock and he was training sharp so we felt like if he broke well, he'd probably be right up there. He was able to hold off a couple of pretty nice horses running at him and Joel did a great job of riding him. I thought it all worked out really well. Hopefully we can run him in the [Grade 1] Manhattan on Belmont Day [June 7]." < /p>

 

On winning his third straight Man o' War: "I'd never won the race before and now I've won it three years in a row. I'm pleased, I'm pleased for the horse."

 

Joel Rosario, winning jockey aboard Imagining (No. 2):"Shug told me there wasn't probably going to be a lot of speed in the race and he was coming off a couple of months off, so he'd probably show some speed and he did. He's a game horse. Every time a horse came to him, he's a fighter. I was really happy with him today."

 

Chad Brown, trainer of runner-up Real Solution (No. 6): "Javier [Castellano] was frustrated he got shuffled out of position. The plan was to follow Amira's Prince the whole way, and when that horse just didn't fire he sort of backed up into him and put him in a bad spot. He thought he had to use him too much to get to [Imagining's] throatlatch in the stretch, and it might have took a little bit out of him. He was high weight today as well. I'm glad to see this horse round back into form. I was confident he would fire today. If all is well, I'll bring him back in the Manhattan [Grade 1, $1 million, June 7]."

 

Javier Castellano, jockey aboard runner-up Real Solution (No. 6): "It wasn't a very quick race; I wish there would have been more pace. He's a come from behind horse, unfortunately the pace was too slow; they were walking in front. I tried to save some ground and come from behind, but it cost me the race."

 

Bill Mott, trainer of beaten favorite and sixth-place finisher Amira's Prince (No. 5): "He was having a good trip. He just didn't run. We'll just have to see if something shows up back at the barn. As far as the trip went, I can't blame that."


This email was sent to patrickjpatten.tpaposts@blogger.com by nyracommunications@nyrainc.com |  
The New York Racing Association, Inc. | NYRA | Press Office | P.O. Box 90 | Jamaica | NY | 11417