Saturday, May 31, 2014

Mike Lee (NYB) Quotes

The New York Racing Association, Inc.

Saturday, May 31, 2014

 

Critical Eye (NYB) Quotes

 

Linda Rice, winning trainer of La Verdad (No. 5): "That was my niece [Taylor Rice] that was in front of us [on Princess Mara]. I knew she was on a horse with speed, and I was a little bit concerned, but Jose [Ortiz] had rated [La Verdad] beautifully in Maryland [when she finished second] in the Barbara Fritchie. They really didn't have the lead that day, either. He was just trying to save enough horse. She's truly a sprinter. It's a little stressful running a filly who is truly a sprinter at a mile, but it was the best option we had. From here on out, I can shorten her up." 

 

On her plans for La Verdad this summer: "The Honorable Miss [Grade 2, $200,000, July 28, Saratoga Race Course] is six furlongs, and it's seven furlongs in the Ballerina [Grade 1, $500,000, August 23, Saratoga]. Typically, speed does pretty well at Saratoga; I think that will help us with the seven furlongs. She's a Grade 2 winner right now. If we can make her a Grade 1 winner, that would be a huge asset for her going forward." 

 

Jose Ortiz, winning jockey aboard La Verdad (No. 5): "I knew that [Princess Mara] had speed, so I knew that if she went, I would have to sit behind her because I didn't want to tire my horse early. She got a little rank, but on the turn I let her run a little bit, and as soon as she got the lead she relaxed very well. I asked her at the three-sixteenths and she responded very well and she kept going. I think this race may have helped her learn how to rate."

This email was sent to patrickjpatten.tpaposts@blogger.com by nyracommunications@nyrainc.com |  
The New York Racing Association, Inc. | NYRA | Press Office | P.O. Box 90 | Jamaica | NY | 11417