Saturday, February 11, 2012

SWEET ENVOY (NYB) QUOTES

Saturday, February 11, 2012

 

SWEET ENVOY (NYB) QUOTES

 

Christopher Grove, winning trainer of Pretension (No. 7): “I couldn’t have been happier with him. It was exactly what Javier and I talked about: just sit right off them. I actually thought he might show a little more speed, but it was a good ride.”

 

“The Gotham [Grade 3, $400,000, March 3] is on the calendar, even though it’s in three weeks. We’ll see how he comes out of it. He does like the track. We’re trying to get some graded money, as well, and everybody will. At this point, you have to tackle the tough ones.”

 

Javier Santiago, winning jockey aboard Pretension (No. 7): “The trainer told me to stay close, because my horse has speed. I sat a little bit behind the speed and when I was ready, I moved my horse. The last eighth I was waiting for the number one [Swag Daddy], they said the horse would finish strong, but my horse kept running and I knew I had the winner.”

 

Junior Alvarado, jockey aboard runner-up and beaten favorite Swag Daddy (No. 1): “He ran a pretty good race. I was in good position, behind the winner, pretty much all the way. Turning for home, the other horse was the best this time. Leaving from the rail, on the first turn, I was on the inside; he doesn’t like to be on the inside. I put him in an outside spot by the three-quarter pole, he was four-wide on the backside.”