Saturday, February 18, 2012

AS INDICATED STAKES QUOTES

Saturday, February 18, 2012

 

AS INDICATED STAKES QUOTES

 

Paul McClelland, assistant to winning trainer Anthony Dutrow, of Marilyn’s Guy (No. 4): “I was happy when they were coming down the stretch; I wasn’t too happy when they were going around the clubhouse turn. We expected the horse to come out of the gate and pretty much be on the lead. When he wasn’t, Chuckie [Lopez] did everything right; he sat back and waited, and the horse was full of run. It all worked out well. Tony had him down at Palm Meadows for the past four weeks, and he was very well prepared. It was a pleasant surprise. It’s hard to win off a 10 or 11-month layoff.”

 

C. C. Lopez, winning jockey aboard Marilyn’s Guy (No. 4): “I don’t want my reputation tarnished by all of these come-from-behind wins! I don’t like to get dirty; these are aberrations! His blinkers were on a little tight, and it was pissing him off. He got to throwing his head around. I just caught [the break] at the wrong time where he threw his head and got left. From there, I had to ad lib, because I’m supposed to be head and head with San Pablo. To make a long story short, that’s what I get the big bucks for, and I was able to pull it off. [San Pablo] ran fabulous as well, gave me all I could handle. Good performance for both horses.”