Saturday, January 3, 2015

Jerome (G3) Quotes

Saturday, January 3, 2015
 

Jerome (G3) Quotes
 

John Terranova, winning trainer of El Kabeir (No. 9): "It's a long way away, but as long as he stays healthy, we have a runner here. Let's hope we continue on this path. It was nice seeing him sit off horses for the first time. I was kind of curious about that because I didn't know if that scenario played out how he'd react this time, but certainly it worked out fine. That's what we've been seeing in the mornings; his maturity level has just gotten [better]. He's gotten a bit more focused and is doing everything a bit better and more productive in his training. He's always had the talent but everything has been focused in the right direction."
 

"That's the whole key with these young, fast 3-year-olds, is if they're going to be able to relax enough to stretch out and carry it. He's certainly bred to, and he trains like he should. We'll see; hopefully he'll keep progressing. He's gotten bigger and more filled out since the Kentucky race. He's eating like there's no tomorrow. He's thriving off running."
 

"Obviously we'll discuss it with the Zayat family, see what everyone feels is best and try to make the best call where to race. It may be the Withers back here [Grade 3, $250,000, February 7] or maybe we'll skip it and go to the Gotham [Grade 3, $400,000, March 7], maybe we'll go out of town, but I have no problems staying here. I love having horses here in New York. He's thriving and he's got a great foundation under him now."

C. C. Lopez, winning rider aboard El Kabeir (No. 9): "I had a good trip. He tried to beat the gate and stumbled a little bit leaving there, but I gathered him up. I never panicked; I was riding the best horse in the race. I just bided my time, and when I was ready, I pushed the accelerator and he went. I just stayed out of trouble; that's what you're supposed to do on the best horse - you don't get in any more trouble than you have to. He ran away from them.
 

"I think he'll go further as he develops. He won pretty easily and switched off after he got past, so he was kind of cool. I hope I get to ride him [again]."

 

 

 

Forward this email



This email was sent to patrickjpatten.tpaposts@blogger.com by vkellner@nyrainc.com |  


The New York Racing Association, Inc. | NYRA | Press Office | P.O. Box 90 | Jamaica | NY | 11417