Saturday, September 27, 2014

Flower Bowl (G1) Quotes

The New York Racing Association, Inc.

Saturday, September 27, 2014

 

Flower Bowl (G1) Quotes

 

Chad Brown, winning trainer of Stephanie's Kitten (No. 9): "She got a beautiful trip, and I'm really proud of this filly; she deserved to get a good, clean trip. That's the third race in a row for us that I felt she ran terrific. She was a little unlucky in the Beverly D. and Diana, and this time [jockey] Johnny [Velazquez] got away from the gate really well and gave her a beautiful trip. The filly did the rest."

 

"Absolutely [we're going to the Breeders' Cup]. We've been working backwards from the Filly & Mare Turf, and believed this filly could get there all year as one of the horses to beat."

 

John Velazquez, winning jockey aboard Stephanie's Kitten (No. 9): "It doesn't get any better than that. We broke well enough, and I wanted to make sure I got a nice position going into the first turn. Once we got that, I was pretty pleased with where I was and kind of bided my time. When I asked her, she responded right away, and made me look really good."

 

Shug McGaughey, trainer of runner-up Abaco (No. 1): "She was second best. I thought she ran good. I thought maybe around the turn she got shuffled around a little bit, but she went on and finished well.'"

 

"If the pace had been a little quicker, it would have probably helped the winner, too, but we might not have had to ease up that far on her. I am satisfied with the race she ran. I hate to lose, but she ran a good race.''

 

Jose Ortiz, jockey aboard runner-up Abaco (No. 1): "She broke good and she had a perfect trip. Johnny [Velazquez on Stephanie's Kitten] had a lot of horse, too, so I kept him there. When he moved he took advantage, and when I moved it cost me a little bit but I thought she ran a fabulous race. There was no pace and I tried to put her close, but I didn't want to take her out of her game. She did what she could and she tried 100 percent."

Forward this email



This email was sent to patrickjpatten.tpaposts@blogger.com by nyracommunications@nyrainc.com |  


The New York Racing Association, Inc. | NYRA | Press Office | P.O. Box 90 | Jamaica | NY | 11417