Saturday, July 5, 2014

Suburban Handicap (G2) Quotes

The New York Racing Association, Inc.

Saturday, July 5, 2014

 

Suburban Handicap (G2) Quotes

 

Chad Brown, winning trainer of Zivo (No. 3) and ninth place finisher Last Gunfighter (No. 5): "Jose rode [Zivo] perfectly. We've always put him in races we think fit him. This horse has really come around well and it was time to step out of New York-bred company and try him in an open company race with a big purse. Tom Coleman, the owner, who bred the horse, we work as a team. He said, 'Let's just enter and look.'  All the way until this morning, he wasn't really committed to coming in from the Hamptons. He said, 'You want me to come?' I said, 'Let's try it. The horse is training well enough and he loves Belmont, let's try it.' Once I saw the strong pace, I knew he'd come running. That last eighth was definitely as strong as I've seen from him. But then again, he's a horse that's only gotten better."

 

On Last Gunfighter: "It looks like he got in some trouble down the backside, got in tight and was steadied. He's a bit of a grinder. He's the kind of horse that needs to get into a rhythm. When you have a grinder and he gets stopped a little bit, it can throw you off your game."

 

Jose Lezcano, winning jockey aboard Zivo (No. 3): "Chad told me the horse was doing very good. He told me to let him break and sit and make one run. He gave me what I needed to win the race. I had plenty of horse. [Moreno] kept going, but my horse came running."

 

Junior Alvarado, jockey aboard runner-up Moreno (No. 11): "He ran a pretty good race. He broke good, and I asked him a little bit to put him in the race. He took me to the lead. We were going fast, but they're all good horses and you can't get an easy lead in a race like this. He was game. As soon as I asked him turning for home, he was there for me. At the end, a better horse passed me. He gave me everything he had."

 

Tom Albertrani, trainer of beaten favorite and fifth-place finisher Romansh (No. 6): "Once he got out, the pace was certainly strong enough in front of him that he should have kicked off. At one point he looked like he was going to do it, but he just emptied out down the stretch. He'll do that once in a while, it looks like. We'll regroup and come back at Saratoga."

 

Jose Ortiz, jockey aboard beaten favorite and fifth-place finisher Romansh (No. 6): "We had a great trip. My horse was a little flat today, but he tried hard. He got tired a little bit in the last eighth."

 
Forward this email


This email was sent to patrickjpatten.tpaposts@blogger.com by nyracommunications@nyrainc.com |  


The New York Racing Association, Inc. | NYRA | Press Office | P.O. Box 90 | Jamaica | NY | 11417