Saturday, July 19, 2014

Diana (G1) Quotes

The New York Racing Association, Inc.

Saturday, July 19, 2014

 

Diana (G1) Quotes

 

Michael Matz, winning trainer of Somali Lemonade (No. 3): "Not a bad horse to have. I said I didn't think she needed to be on the lead but, listen, what the hell do I know at this point? She's won on the lead, she's won from behind. I think she's just a good filly and she showed it today. It was a pretty tough group that she ran against today. I don't know if it was the blinkers, I don't know if it was maturity, but she's doing really well right now. I was glad somebody was putting some pressure on Discreet Marq. I was sort of surprised Tannery was up that close but I guess things happen. That's why they call it horse racing. She's just a good filly, I believe. I don't know what else to say about her. She's better now at 5 than she was her whole life."

                                            

Luis Saez, winning jockey aboard Somali Lemonade (No. 3): "Today, I broke in front, but another speed horse was coming outside of me. I let her pass, but when we came to the three-eighths I had so much horse that when I got in the clear, she responded and won the race. It's amazing to win another Grade 1 in Saratoga."

 

Chad Brown, trainer of runner-up Stephanie's Kitten (No. 9) and beaten favorite eighth-place finisher Alterite (No. 8): Stephanie's Kitten: "I thought she ran terrific. Probably needed a little more pace up front. Just ran out of ground. I thought she ran a dynamite race. If she came out of it OK, we'll probably go on to the next one, the Beverly D. [at Arlington Park]."

Alterite: "I was disappointed she tired like she did. We were a little cautious about her maybe being a little short for this race, but I thought it was worth a shot. She got a beautiful trip up close, stalking a slow pace, but she really got tired the last eighth [of a mile], but we'll regroup and find out what the next spot is for her."

 

Lanfranco Dettori, jockey aboard runner-up Stephanie's Kitten (No. 9): "There wasn't much pace. It was draw 9. That was the trouble. Unfortunately, I had to lose ground the whole time. They got three lengths on me, and I ran out of stretch."

 

Javier Castellano, jockey aboard beaten favorite and eighth-place finisher Alterite (No. 8): "The pace of the race was very slow. She got a good position, but I didn't have any horse at the top of the stretch. She just got tired. I don't blame anybody."

Forward this email



This email was sent to patrickjpatten.tpaposts@blogger.com by nyracommunications@nyrainc.com |  


The New York Racing Association, Inc. | NYRA | Press Office | P.O. Box 90 | Jamaica | NY | 11417