Saturday, July 24, 2010

BETFAIR TVG COACHING CLUB AMERICAN OAKS (G1) QUOTES

Saturday, July 24, 2010

 

 

BETFAIR TVG COACHING CLUB AMERICAN OAKS (G1) QUOTES

 

Todd Pletcher, winning trainer of Devil May Care (No. 7): “You can see by the way that she won today why we tried the Kentucky Derby. The thing that I think gets lost in the shuffle a little bit is how much there is left in the tank.  When she makes the lead, she tends to wait a little bit, so Johnny [Velazquez] rode her perfectly.  Once he was able to ease her back to the outside down the backside, he got in the clear and just kept her on cruise control.  We didn’t want to make the lead too soon and have someone surprise her and he waited as long as he could.  We tried to do the right thing after the Derby and give her plenty of time to the Mother Goose. She rewarded us with a big effort and did the same today.  I’ve felt all along that this filly is the best of her generation and if she continues to run like today, I think she’ll prove it.  The [Betfair TVG] Alabama [August 21] would be the most likely thing. The spacing is good and it’s a good series for her.”

 

John Velazquez, winning jockey aboard Devil May Care (No. 7): “When I let her go, she was there for me. I wanted to have her covered up for a while because she was pulling pretty strong going through the backstretch. Going to the half-mile pole I wanted her to get into a good rhythm and then a nice cruising speed. At the quarter-pole I took another hold of her because I didn’t want to get into the lead too quickly. But she was just dragging me up to that point. I kept her busy down the lane to keep her mind on her business.”

 

Reade Baker, trainer of runner-up Biofuel (No. 6): The winner was tough. You have to give her credit. We had a run at her, but we couldn’t reel her in. We’ll come back and try her in the Alabama.”

 

Eurico Rosa Da Silva, jockey aboard runner-up Biofuel (No. 6): “I had a great trip. On the second turn, I had so much horse – I just needed some room. But Devil May Care is a great horse.”

 

Rick Dutrow, Jr., trainer of third-place finisher Acting Happy (No. 8): “It looked like she ran her race.”

 

Jose Lezcano, jockey aboard third-place finisher Acting Happy (No. 8): “She ran a good race. She might have gotten a little tired at the end. But the other filly [Devil May Care] is a good one.”