Friday, April 30, 2010

Preakness News

GOVERNOR O’MALLEY, ATTORNEY GENERAL GANSLER, MAYOR RAWLINGS-BLAKE ADDRESS THE SETTLEMENT AGREEMENT

KEEPING PREAKNESS IN MARYLAND

 

BALTIMORE, MD (April 30, 2010) – Governor Martin O’Malley, Attorney General Doug Gansler, Baltimore City Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake and Tom Chuckas, President and COO of the Maryland Jockey Club, today addressed the settlement agreement that ensures the Preakness will remain in Maryland. 

 

“For 134 years (and counting) the Preakness Stakes has been run in the State of Maryland and has belonged to the people of our state,” said Governor O’Malley.  “The Preakness Covenant will ensure that people of Maryland continue to enjoy this time-honored tradition, and that the State of Maryland and City of Baltimore will continue to realize the economic benefits of this annual event.  I want to thank Attorney General Doug Gansler, and his staff for working quickly and aggressively with us with us to secure the future of the Preakness Stakes right here where it belongs in Maryland.”

 

“When Magna entered bankruptcy last year, working with the Governor’s Office, the Office of Attorney General immediately drafted emergency legislation granting Maryland condemnation authority over Magna’s Maryland assets, including Preakness,” said Attorney General Gansler.   “That law, in conjunction with the State’s existing right of first refusal over any transfer of Pimlico, gave Maryland the hammer we needed to work out an agreement with new owner MID.   I’m pleased that we were able to provide the legal support to the Governor to ensure the Preakness forever remains a Maryland tradition.” 

 

“This is wonderful news for the City of Baltimore,” said Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake.  “The Preakness belongs in Baltimore City, and I want to thank Governor O’Malley and Attorney General Gansler for their leadership and partnership in acting quickly and aggressively to ensure that the Preakness remains a Baltimore tradition for years to come.”

 

“This is great news for the Preakness Stakes, the Maryland Jockey Club, the City of Baltimore and the State of Maryland,” said Tom Chuckas, President and COO of the Maryland Jockey Club.  “The Preakness has a long tradition at Pimlico, and we were proud to work with Governor O'Malley and Attorney General Gansler to make sure that tradition continues.”

 

Under the agreement announced today by Governor O’Malley and Attorney General Gansler, Maryland waives its statutory right of first refusal to buy the Preakness Stakes and parent company MI Developments (MID), agrees that it will not move the Preakness from Maryland.  The agreement also specifically states:

 

  • MID agrees that the Preakness Covenant will be binding on MID’s successors and assigns;
  • The State of Maryland and MID agree that any disputes about the agreement, including a dispute about the Preakness Covenant, will be decided in a Maryland court;
  • The parties acknowledge that money damages would not be a sufficient remedy for breach of the Preakness Covenant, and agree that Maryland is entitled to specific performance and injunctive or other equitable relief as a remedy for a breach of the Preakness Covenant; and
  • Nothing in the Agreement alters or negates the State’s statutory, police, or regulatory power.

 

 

###

PHOTO CREDIT-Jim McCue, Maryland Jockey Club

 

Mike Gathagan

Vice President-Communications

Maryland Jockey Club

410-578-4461 (Pimlico)

301-470-5461 (Laurel Park)

240-876-7403 (Mobile)

 



This e-mail, and any documents or data attached hereto, is intended for the intended recipients only. It may contain confidential and/or privileged information and no rights have been waived by the sender. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby NOTIFIED that any dissemination, distribution, retention, archiving or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify me at the telephone number shown above or by return mail and delete this communication and any copy immediately. MEC provides no assurances that this e-mail and its attachments are virus free; you are responsible for scanning all e-mails and attachments for viruses.  MEC disclaims all liability for damages caused by any virus which may be transmitted by this email.  Thank you.